Chapman University School Psychology

August 25, 2016

Information Session for CES
  • Submit an (for Summer or Fall 2016)
  • A statement of intent, the prompt can be found within the application.
  • A current resume or curriculum vita that includes information on experiences working with children and/or families.
  • One set of official transcripts from all institutions the applicant has received (or will be receiving) a degree from.
  • Official GRE Scores.
  • Two letters of recommendation are required. One recommendation must be from someone who has experience with the candidate in an academic setting and knowledge of the candidate’s academic potential. The second recommendation should be from someone who knows the candidate in a work setting, preferably one where the candidate works with children.
  • $60 application fee.

The application deadline for the Summer or Fall 2016 cohort is February 1, 2016

Supporting documents may be mailed to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
Chapman University
One University Dr.
Orange, CA 92866

Please contact the College of Educational Studies Admissions Specialist for more information:

Candidates must complete all courses, the field work component, and the demonstration of mastery in order to complete the Ed.S. degree requirements. Please refer to the Chapman University Graduate Catalog for more information.

Program Coordinator

Hayley Taitz was an exceptional graduate student in the Educational Specialist Degree Program in School Psychology at Chapman University. Throughout her time as a student, Hayley was clearly dedicated to helping youth with Autism Spectrum Disorders and their families as they navigate the educational system. This fund will support graduate students who are dedicated to serving children with disabilities and their families in the community – just like Hayley.

Where are the classes offered for the Ed.S. in School Psychology?

All classes offered is at the Chapman University campus in Orange, CA. In order to accommodate fieldwork in the schools, all classes are held in the evenings (4-7 or 7-10 pm)

Is the GRE test required? Are there cut off scores for the GRE test?

Yes, the GRE test is required. There are no cut off scores for the GRE test when applying for the Ed.S. in School Psychology program; the faculty consider each applicant’s GRE scores in context with the rest of their application.

What is the committee looking for when reviewing the applications?

The School Psychology faculty take a holistic approach when reviewing the applications and they look at every required piece of documentation. The faculty are seeking to create the best cohort of students who bring a diverse mix of strengths and experiences. When completing your application, be sure to help the faculty to see your strengths (e.g., years of experience in education? Currently working with individuals with exceptional needs? Very high GPA/GRE?), and address any weaker areas if possible (e.g., my grades weren’t as strong my first year in college due to x, y, z, but greatly improved once I…).

Can I apply for the program at any time?

The School Psychology program at Chapman only admits one cohort per year. We hold on-campus interviews within a few weeks of the application deadline, and make admissions decisions shortly afterward and select a cohort that will begin their coursework that summer or fall.

How many students do you admit annually? What are my chances of being admitted?

We admit one cohort per year, consisting of about 20 students. The admission rate changes annually with the number of applications received.

Are the classes for the program offered online?

No. All of our classes are offered on campus in Orange, CA.

How many graduate units can be transferred upon acceptance into the school psychology program?

Per university policy, a maximum of six semester credits (2 courses) can be transferred into graduate programs. All transfer credits must be approved by the school psychology program coordinator. For more information on the policy, please see Chapman University’s Graduate Catalog.

Can undergraduate classes take the place of graduate courses offered in the program?

No, upon approval of the program coordinator only a maximum of 6 units of graduate units can be transferred into the program.

Do I have to have an undergraduate degree in psychology?

No. Our students come from a variety of educational backgrounds. The vast majority have degrees in psychology, human or child development, sociology, or education. However, we have had very successful students complete the program with a wide variety of undergraduate areas of study. If your academic background is in a completely different field (e.g., Chemistry), we strongly recommend that you complete some additional college level coursework in general psychology, child development, and/or education.

What is the Praxis School Psychology test?

To receive national certification under the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) standards (I.e., to become a Nationally Certified School Psychologist or NCSP), a student must pass praxis exam. This is also a graduation requirement of our program, and is typically taken during the final year of study. Please see click here for more detailed information about the test.

Does the Ed.S. Program in School Psychology prepare me to work as a school psychologist?

Yes, students who successfully complete the Ed.S. Program are eligible for the PPS credential in school psychology in California.

How long will it take me to complete this program?

Most students finish the Ed.S. Program in 3 years. There is also a course sequence for part-time students that takes 4 years. Although it is not required, many students elect to take summer courses to lighten their course load during the academic year.

Are students paid for their school psychology internship hours?

During their time in our program, students complete at least 600 hours of school psychology practicum (during 2nd year of program) and 1, 200 hours of school psychology internship (3rd year of program). As these fieldwork assignments are completed within local school districts, there is a lot of variation regarding pay. Some internships are paid (via salary, hourly wage, or stipend), and some are not. The number of available paid internships varies annually.

Does adding the LPCC emphasis make me eligible to work in private practice?

Students who add on the LPCC coursework complete the academic requirements to become a LPCC, but still must complete the mandatory post-graduation fieldwork hours and licensure exam. For more information about the LPCC license, please see the Board of Behavioral Sciences website: /

Share this Post

Student Christine Chapman | California School of Forensic
Student Christine Chapman | California School of Forensic ...
Dr. Steven Schandler - Psychology, Chapman University
Dr. Steven Schandler - Psychology, Chapman University