Research: Topic Selection & Rubric: Mr. Haberman - AP Psychology (Revised 2/14)
You must select one topic from the list below on the first come, first serve bases, and complete an APA-style research paper once each semester. Only one student per topic and register the selection with the teacher. To insure that you get a topic of interest, highlight your top 5 research topics, in order. That way, if your top choice has already been selected by someone else in the class, you can move down the list.
1. Addictions: which substance(s) most addicting? Which easiest/hardest to treat?
2. Role of the environment in the development of personality.
3. What do modern psychologists feel are the major weaknesses of Freud's psychoanalytic theories.
4. Addiction: influences of genetics vs. peers/environment
5. Anxiety: Causes, Symptoms and Therapy
6. Attachment Theory: relationship to parenting style & psychological health as an adult
7. Research the literature on the psychological and physical benefits of laughter.
8. The effects of the circadian rhythms on human beings.
9. The effects of cognitive dissonance on behavior/values
10. The Nightly Dream Cycle and Sleep Deprivation: impact on mental health
11. The Validity of Psychological Tests: how established? Which tests more valid? Less valid?
12. Collectivist vs. Individualistic Cultures: impact on positive self-esteem/sense of self.
13. Interpersonal Attraction: causes, gender differences; is there an "ideal"?
14. Gender differences and the Brain - separating actual differences from stereotypes
15. Endorphins and Happiness: production, role, implications for mental health
16. Learned Optimism/helplessness: how each come about; implications for mental health
17. Genius: Criteria, Characteristics and Types.
18. The Internet: positive/negative effects on our psychological health
19. How has Abraham Maslow's concept of self-actualization affected Psychology?
20. Trace the Development of Humanism from 1950 till now. Review of the Literature
21. Childhood Trauma: impact on personality/role in personality disorders.
22. Race and Intelligence: The Scientific View
23. Possible Causes of Childhood Autism
24. How is Intelligence Measured? Reasons for controversy/debate
25. The Dual Roles of Genetics and Environment on Intelligence
26. Inherited Behavior - The Latest Research
27.Compare and Contrast the Learning Theories of B. F. Skinner and Jean Piaget
28. Alzheimer's Disease: causes, treatment & role lifestyle plays
29. Contact sports & degenerative brain disease
30. Workplace stress: environmental factors? Role of culture, of job type?