- First, how many hours of PD do you need?
- Can you take your courses online, in-person, or can you combine the two options?
- What types of particular courses do you need to be complete for renewal?
- In-person courses should be given first priority, especially if the course is required, such as with an ethics course.
- Also, specialized courses should be given high priority as well. For example, many psychologists are required to gain a specific number of hours in forensic training each year, and these courses will also meet the general requirements for licensure. Always try to take these classes at the beginning of the year in order to ensure that you complete these courses.
- Make sure to remain aware of your renewal date and how long it will take the board to process your application so there is no chance of having your license lapse. Remember, one may not practice psychology without an active license from the State!
Do not put your professional practice at risk by waiting until the last minute or neglecting to complete PD or license renewal. DPA is here to help members with questions or concerns they may have about PD, license renewal and the entire process with both. Members can access the DPA MemberLINK forum to discuss the licensure process in the general psychology forum.
Finally, if you have any comments, suggestions or even other ideas for PD courses and resources, please feel free to send us an email! DPA is open to new suggestions to help members better their experience and to help with any pressing questions that you might have.